Magaz is a Gujarati style of making besan burfi. It is made from ghee, coarse chickpea flour, and sugar.
- 1 cup Chana flour / Chick Pea flour / Besan
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 2 tbsp sooji
- 2 tbsp milk powder optional - I have added to my version
- 1-2 tsp Elachi powder
- 1/2 cup Gaur grated - or to taste
- 1/2 cup mixed dry fruits - I have used - Almond & Pistachio
- pinch of saffron- optional I like it so I have added to my version
- Dry roast Chana flour / Chickpea flour / Besan first in nonstick kadai on low heat until the rawness has gone and Chana flour / Chickpea flour/ Besan has changed colour.
- Now add ghee and continue to roast Chana flour / Chickpea flour / Besan on low heat until nice golden brown colour is noticed ensure do not burn flour at all.
- Add sooji to the Chana flour/ Chickpea flour/ besan and ghee mixture.
- Keep stirring until sooji is incorporated with Chana flour/ Chickpea flour/ besan properly.
- Add Elachi powder add milk powder totally optional I have added to my version keep stirring on low heat until you have flowy consistency if additional ghee is required add at this stage as it should be nice and flowy texture again ensuring milk powder , sooji and Chana flour/ Chickpea flour / Besan does not burn at all keep it on low flame all the time.
- Add grated gaur to above and stir ensuring it's mixed well.
- Turn off heat as you don't want gaur to over cook and keep stirring the mixture to ensure the mixture is cooled down and gaur is not overcooking with the milk powder, sooji and Chana flour mixture so keep stirring it is must.
- Add chopped up dry fruits to this mixture as per your taste.
- Grease baking tray pour above mixture and add few more nuts on top as decoration and let it set.