Masala paratha is a variation of Plain paratha with some spices added in it. Spices are also called as masala or masale in hindi, hence the name. Since both rotis and parathas are staple in my home, I try making various variations. Masala paratha is one such delicious variation.
Paratha is an amalgamation of the words parat and atta, which literally means layers of cooked dough. Alternative spellings and names include parantha, parauntha, prontha, parontay, paronthi (Punjabi), paratha (in Odia), palata,porotha (in Assamese),etc.
- 3 Cup chapati flour(or any mixture of wheat and plain flour
- 1/3 Cup oil
- 1 Teaspoon(tsp) salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon(tsp) turmeric
- 1 Teaspoon(tsp) garlic paste
- 1 ground green chillies to taste
- 1 Tablespoon(tbsp) finely chopped coriander leaves
- oil for frying
- Mix together all the ingredients except the oil
- Rub in the oil
- Bind into a smooth dough with cold water. Knead well
- Divide into 10 bails
- Roll out each ball as in rotli and make small slits with a knife or prick with a fork
- Shallow fry one at a time over medium heat turning once only