Moong Dal Kachori makes an absolutely delicious snack, which is very popular in North India and is also one of the most loved street food.
With a flavourful moong dal mixture as filling, this kachori is deep-fried patiently on a slow flame to achieve that deliciously crisp crust and hollow, well-cooked interior
Moong Daal Kachori
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour or whole grain white flour
- 1 Tablespoon(tbsp) semolina (fine rava)
- 4 Tablespoon(tbsp) warm melted ghee or cooking oil
- salt to taste
- hot water – to knead the dough
- oil for frying kachoris
- Take the Moong Dal and let it soak in water for at least 3-4 hours.
- For the kachori, mix the salt, semolina and flour together and add the warm ghee or oil to it. Mix well so that the entire flour is oiled and forms crumbles. Now knead it using warm water into a firm dough(not too thin or soft, just pliable enough). The warm water and rava will help make the crust more crispy. Cover with a wet cloth and leave aside for 25-30 mins.
- Now take a saucepan, add 2 tbsp oil to it, and then add saunf and asafoetida. When both splutter, add the soaked moong dal to this, after removing all water. Add crushed green chili, salt, lemon juice, sugar, red chili powder, garam masala. Cook for 8-10 mins, then remove from flame. Mix , chopped fresh coriander leaves and raisins and keep aside.
- Now divide the dough into small portions, and roll each one into 3″ diam. disc. Put a large spoonful of the filling into the center, then fold the dough over the filling to form a pouch and shape it into a basket from the top. You can grease your palms a little and roll the ball between them to form an even ball if that’s easier. Make sure to seal the filling at the top else it will all ooze out when you fry them! Repeat for all the kachoris.
- Now heat oil in a wok and deep fry 3-4 kachoris at a time over low-to-medium flame till they are golden brown in color. Do not fry on high heat as they will turn brown but will be uncooked from inside.
- Semolina helps make the crust more crispy. Also, If fry the kachoris on low heat with half done, then when its time to serve, refry them! This will also make them crispier.
- Serve these hot with a side of Imli Chutney or Green Chutney for a delicious treat.