This easy Portuguese Grilled Piri Piri Chicken is made in the oven and is so good! Also called “Nando’s Chicken” after the restaurant that makes this dish, this chicken legs recipe will definitely have people asking for seconds – and thirds!
PERi-PERi is essential to everything Nando’s does. It’s the main ingredient in our PERi-PERi chicken. It’s the sauce that lets you customize your experience at our restaurants.
What Kind of Chicken is Nando?
It’s a Pepper. PERi-PERi, also known as the African Bird’s Eye Chilli, is the key to our legendary, flame-grilled PERi-PERi chicken. It’s grown in the African soil, so the magic starts from the ground up. It tastes amazing, but the benefits don’t stop there: PERi-PERi chilli seeds are rich in Vitamins A, B, and C.
And because PERi-PERi is a pepper, a sauce, and a nod to our homeland, it’s who we are. You can’t have Nando’s without PERi-PERi.
- Take 2 big washed, drained skin chickens & marinate in:
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 Cup white vinegar
- 5 Tablespoons(tbsp) brown vinegar
- 6 Tablespoons(tbsp) water
- 1,1/2 Teaspoons(tsp) freshly ground blackpepper
- 1 Teaspoons(tsp) chicken spice
- 2 Tablespoons(tsp) garlic paste
- 1/2 Teaspoons(tsp) chilli powder
- 1 Teaspoons(tsp) paprika powder
- Drizzle little bit olive oil/cooking oil on top of chickens before steaming *add the chickens with marination in a pot, steam the chickens on medium to high heat till the water burns out*
- Once steamed, grill or barbecue on medium heat & keep basting the sauce till chickens are done
- Sauce: Melt 3 tablespoon soft butter in a pan, once melted, add in 1 tablespoon garlic paste & braise for a minute, then add in:
- 1/2 Cup cream
- 4 Tablespoons(tbsp) mayonnaise
- 1,4 Cup Nando's Lemon & herb sauce
- 1,2 Cup Nando's garlic sauce(not the white one) or peri peri sauce
- 1,4 Cup Nando's wild herb sauce
- 1,1/2 Tablespoons(tbsp) paprika powder to give it a nice colour
- Bring all this to a boil and use it to baste on the chicken Remember me and my family in your duas xx Serve with anything of your choice & Enjoy!
- 1) If you don't have brown & white vinegar, use same amount either one of them.
- 2) Chicken spice is a seasoning, if you don't have, use any seasoning of your choice.
- 3) If you don't have all 3 Nando's sauces which have been stated, use whatever you have or even one type of sauce will do, but just add the amount of sauces written in the recipe, meaning 1 cup.