Vitumbua are baked goods commonly found in Tanzania. They are often eaten for breakfast and are found sold in the streets in many places.
The ingredients may vary based on taste and availability, however the base ingredient is rice. It can be used in plain form or as flour.
- 1/2 kilogram(kg) pudding rice
- 1 teaspoon(tsp) yeast
- 1 teaspoon(tsp) sugar
- 1 tablespoon(tbsp) water
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1,1/4 cup milk
- 50 grams coconut cream
- 1 small egg
- a few cardamom seeds
- 1 cup sugar
- oil for frying
- Soak the rice for at least two hours
- Add 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of water to the yeast and leave it for about ten minutes
- Melt coconut cream in 1/2cup boiling water
- Drain out the water from the rice and liquidise with coconut cream mixture and milk
- Add in the yeast and cardamom seeds and mix well; keep in a warm place overnight
- Next day add the sugar and the egg and mix well
- Pour a ladleful of mixture into 1 teaspoon of hot oil in a special vitumbua "karahi"
- When firm and brown, turn to cook the other side to similar colour