Bhuna gosht, a curry with a thick, reduced sauce. Karahi or Kadhai gosht, cooked in a traditional round-sided pot. Raan gosht, roasted leg of mutton. Bhuna Gosht means pan fried lamb curry. What makes this curry special is the bhuna part as this consists of pan frying the meat with spices without adding water. The meat cooks in its own juices which give the deep flavors. Cooking takes a little extra time but its worth it as the end result is a luscious rich dish.
Bhuna in Asian cooking style is pan frying where the sauce or the gravy is reduced and reduced until the gravy becomes thick and get nicely coated to the meat making the meat appear brown in color.
- 1/2 kilogram(kg) Boneless leg of lamb,cut into pieces
- 2 medium onions,finely chopped
- 1 medium sized onions,sliced into thin rings
- 1 tin peeled tomatoes,chopped
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes
- 4 tablespoon(tbsp) yoghurt
- 2 teaspoon(tsp) ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon(tsp) garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon(tsp) coarsely ground/cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon(tsp) coriander/cumin powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon(tsp) turmeric
- 1 teaspoon(tsp) garam masala powder
- 2 teaspoon(tsp) ground green chillies
- 2 tablespoons(tbsp) tomato puree
- 4 tablespoons(tbsp) oil
- 3 pods of cardamom
- 2-3 cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon(tsp) chopped coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons(tbsp) lemon juice
- Heat oil in a thick eased saucepan.When hot add the coarsely ground cumin, cinnamon. cardamom and doves, and allow them to splutter
- Add the chopped onions and fry until golden brown. Then stir in chillies, garlic and ginger
- Add the coriander/cumin powder and turmeric,stir for a couple of minutes and add the meat
- Fry for a few minutes until well blended
- Stir in the peeled tomatoes,tomato puree.yoghurt and salt
- Cover the saucepan end cook on very low heat until the meat Is tender (1,1/2 to 2hours).Add water, If necessary, when cooking the meat
- When the meat is nearly cooked, cut the tomatoes into large chunks and add to the meat together with the onion rings
- Cook for about 10 minutes until the sauce becomes very thick
- Add garam masala. coriander leaves and lemon juice and stir
- Serve with parathas or naans.